Sunday 15 January 2012

Don't eat that S'more!!! (.....It's a pincushion!)

Whenever I'm sewing and creating things, I'm always reaching for my pincushion, and even though the space that I sew and craft in is really tiny, I am constantly having to move around to find where I last left the pincushion.  I have one right beside my sewing machine, and I also have one on the table with my cutting mat.  The problem arises when I expand to the ironing board, or onto the card table I lay on my bed.  I bring the pincushion from the sewing machine, but then when I go back to sew something, I don't have anywhere for my pins.  So I needed another pin cushion.

I was going to make a pincushion with a wrist strap so I could have it on me all the time while I was sewing, but then the project went in a different direction.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make another one :)

I'm not really sure why I chose a s'more.  
Felt/fabric food is actually quite popular I found out throughout my Google searching, and I think it's ADORABLE.  One day when I have kids.... I might need to make them some.
I made a polymer clay s'more a little while ago to try my hand at using the material, and I loved how it turned out. (pictured below)


Not to mention, graham crackers+chocolate+marshmallows= mmmmmm (If you were looking for something you could actually eat, check out my previous post: Chocolate Covered Marshmallows).

Another reason is that looking at this s'more reminds me of camp fires in the summer:)

Best of all, this s'more has zero calories ;)

So here it is: 
How I made my s'more pincushion!



Here are the pieces.  I cut four 4.5" squares in tan, two 3.5" squares in brown, two circles (I traced the top of a spice jar and added another half inch around) and a 2.5" x approx 7.5" white fabric (in this picture the white fabric is 9", but I ended up cutting off some).

Sew it together, but leave a space to flip it right side out.

I like to clip the corners before I turn it right side out so that there is less bulk.

The graham crackers and chocolate flipped right sides out.  Now time to stuff them!

The cracker on the left is done!  I cut one edge of each cracker with pinking shears to make it look like the cracker was split in to two pieces.

Graham crackers + chocolate + marshmallow

Close up of the finished crackers.

Close up of the finished chocolate.

Close up of the finished marshmallow.

= S'MORE (sewn all together!)

Good enough to eat........

.......mmmmm.......
........or store your pins :)
I love how it turned out!!  How much fun would a larger version of this be?  S'more pillows! Anyway, happy crafting.....

Until I write s'more....... (ha ha ha)
~Becca

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm going to make a giant one for my local summer camp kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That will be soooo much fun! You could make them into a giant stackable pillow!! Have fun :)

      Delete