Monday 9 January 2012

"Wooden" you love a new necklace?

After making the wrist warmers, I got to thinking about some of the other crafts I've made that have also cost me next to nothing!  I have made several different necklaces that are unique and fun to wear, but were so inexpensive to make!  Unfortunatley I made the necklaces before I started a blog, so I don't have any pictures of how I made them, but I can tell you what I made them out of, and hopefully inspire you to make some of your own.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to make some neat jewellry.

I always like to look for beads and pendants in the strangest (and inexpensive) of places.  Not only does it cost you less money to wear these necklaces, some of them make quite a statement,and no one else in the room is ever wearing the same one.



Who would know that I got these beads at a thrift store for less than a dollar?!  That's right, these beads weren't always in the form of a necklace.  They used to be pot holders!  So I cut them apart and restrung them as a necklace.  I have so many beads left over for other craftsJ 

How about this necklace?  I made this one by covering the wooden pot holder beads with fabric.  The bigger beads are the plastic inside lids of spice jars (the part with the holes that prevents too much spice from coming out).  I covered them in fabric too.  I bought the spice jars to hold some of my beads, and couldn't part with the plastic inside part, knowing one day I would use them for something.

This is one of the least expensive of all!  It's made of paper.  Some of the beads are made from newspaper, some are made from magazines and some are made from scrapbook paper.  I coated the beads in Mod Podge.

Of course, you could always just use a ton of different buttons to make a quick necklace!  I chose to use multicoloured buttons, but there are so many different colour combinations you could do.  Or you could mix buttons and beads for an entirely new look.

This one is made of old tshirts!  Tshirts are wonderful to use for crafts because they don't need to be hemmed, because they don't fray.

For this necklace, I used magnets that I bought from the dollar store!!  I glued four of them together and then glued a chain from an old necklace around it so that it would be a pendant.  The two polkadot beads are covered buttons.  The polkadot fabric came from an old skirt from the thrift store, and the black beads and clasp for this necklace came from a necklace I bought at the thrift store to deconstruct.


I hope that this has given you some ideas to create new things from old things, and that you are excited to think outside of the box when it comes to crafting.

If you like reading my blog, don't forget to follow me:)

Stay inspired,
~Becca 

4 comments:

  1. Why haven't I seen you wearing more of these? They're fantastic, and so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I'm glad you like them! I finally wore my magnet necklace on New Years Eve:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely brilliant my dear. LOVE these ideas, I am on to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I'm glad you like them:) Good luck with your own!

    ReplyDelete