Friday 13 January 2012

Working out is more fun with a new gym/yoga bag!

I like going to the gym already, but having a pretty bag to take your stuff in, makes it even more fun (I swear!)  I found this pattern quite awhile ago, and have been wanting to make it ever since!  This would make a great gift for someone who loves yoga (time to start thinking of home made Christmas gifts already!!.....I know..... it's early.... I'm sorry:) ! ) 
My new yoga/gym bag!
Last year (as one of my first sewing projects) I made a yoga bag.  I got the pattern from Amy Butler's website. (http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/products/free_patterns.php)  This pattern is the 'Nigella Yoga Bag'. 

I was making a cosmetics bag for someone last Christmas and had bought this really neat striped material.  At the time, the fabric store had buy 1 metre get two free, so of course I had to get 3 metres.  That is A LOT of fabric, because it is drapery fabric which comes on those really long bolts.  Needless to say, I had a lot left over after that tiny cosmetics bag, and I still have tons left after making the yoga bag.   The yoga bag I made last year is just to hold a yoga mat (with pockets, to hold things like a cell phone or keys.  I really like it, but I have been wanting something a bit bigger, that was long enough to hold my mat, but also maybe a water bottle, shoes and my wallet.

Yoga bag! (I LOVE this fabric)
I found the pattern at sew4home.com.  THIS SITE IS AWESOME!! (http://sew4home.com/tips-resources/interviews-inspiration/678-s4h-fave-11-yoga-mat-tote).  I love the fabric I chose, and it came from the drapery section again.  The fabric store had the same deal this time for buy 1 get 2 free, but I refrained myself.... because I seriously don't need 3 more metres of a drapery fabric right now.  I bought half a metre, which was almost perfect, but since each piece was 33in, I needed to add some other fabric to the ends (the cream coloured fabric).  I actually like the other fabric on the ends.  I think it makes the bag look more interesting.  The lining fabric is a bed sheet that I am using for another sewing project, I just had some left over. The handles are 1.5" webbing.  I covered a button in the same fabric as the ends of the bag.  
Main fabric pieces
Lining fabric, handles and button loop fabric 
Handles sewn on!
This is right before I flip it right side out.  This is always such an exciting part.  It's like the moment right before you unfold a home made paper snowflake :)     (I got to use my new pinking shears to cut the edge!)

Ta da!

It holds a lot too!! 
Ready to hit the gym!  The finished size of this is approx 26.5" long x 10" high.  (The picture makes it look REALLY big, but it's a perfect size)


Happy crafting!
~Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment