Friday 30 December 2011

Homemade Chocolate-Covered Marshmallows.... mmmmmmm

So last night I decided to make marshmallows!  That’s right, homemade marshmallows.
At first glance, the recipe says total time: 7 ¼ hours (but not to fear, 4 hours of that is marshmallow firming time, 1 hour is marshmallow drying time, and 30 minutes of that is chocolate drying time)
 I have attempted marshmallow making before with not so great results (not this recipe).  The first attempt was a recipe for orange flavoured marshmallows, that turned out really gross and really messy.  The recipe I used last night was for chocolate-covered marshmallows.   I was sold on this idea immediately.  I mean...  marshmallows... covered in melted chocolate.... amazing!
I got the recipe from this month’s Canadian Living magazine (same one I got the brown sugar fudge recipe I used for Christmas).  I was going to make the marshmallows for Christmas to go along with the fudge and caramel corn for my brothers but just simply ran out of time.  Since I had bought all of the ingredients (I had to go back and buy 2 more squares of bakers chocolate since I ate two of them while working on Christmas gifts.....mmmmm) I figured I might as well give it a go!
You should really try this out.  It’s surprisingly easy (even easier with a candy thermometer and a hand mixer).  A couple of things I’d like to point out before you try this (just to make your life easier) is
1)   You can buy unflavoured gelatin in bulk, and it is 2.5 tsp per 7g package.  I found this online at: http://knoxgelatine.com/basics.htm
2)   Read all of the instructions first..... and have everything you need set up and on hand.  You will be working with 2 pots on the stove at once, and mixing eggs all at the same time.  Candy making is time sensitive (I learned this the hard way--- during round 1 of caramel corn) so you must be organized.
And how good would these be as S’MORES!!  It’s the chocolate and marshmallows all in one!  All you need is some graham crackers.  Or better yet... why not DIP THE STILL MELTED CHOCOLATE IN GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS.  Although I made it with semi-sweet chocolate, I bet it would be really good with melted milk chocolate.
So here it isJ
Ingredients:

1/3 cup icing sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp white corn syrup
2 pkg unflavoured gelatin (7g each)
2 egg whites
1 pinch salt
¼ tsp vanilla
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
How to do it!
A few things I did differently, but it still worked J
1)   I used an 8x8 inch pan because that’s what I had handy at the time
2)   I used golden corn syrup..... and it was fine.  I’m pretty sure using white corn syrup is just to make the marshmallows bright white in colour.
3)   I used semi sweet bakers chocolate instead because I couldn’t find bittersweet at the store. I did notice on the sign at Bulk Barn for the semi sweet chocolate, that it could be used interchangeably with bittersweet.
4)   I didn’t have a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
5)   I microwaved my chocolate.  I do it in 30 second increments.  Stirring between each increment, until smooth and runny.
Canadian Living Magazine says to:
Grease 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan; line with parchment paper. Lightly grease paper; dust with some of the icing sugar. Set aside.
Make sure that the tip of the candy thermometer isn't touching the bottom of the pot.
In saucepan, bring granulated sugar, 1/3 cup water and corn syrup to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil, without stirring but brushing down side of pan with pastry brush dipped in cold water, until candy thermometer reaches 260°F (125°C), about 12 minutes, or hard-ball stage when 1 tsp syrup dropped into cold water forms hard ball. Remove from heat.

It looks a little like apple sauce... but it will turn clear and runny.
Meanwhile, in small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand for 5 minutes. Heat over low heat, stirring, until clear, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk into hot sugar syrup. (Mixture will bubble up.)

I didn't have a hand mixer... or a stand mixer..... so I used a whisk (good arm workout!)

I later switched to a wooden spoon to mix this up.
 In stand mixer, beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form. With machine running, gradually pour in gelatin mixture, beating on high until increased in volume and cool, about 12 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
Immediately scrape into prepared pan. Using greased palette knife or spatula, smooth top. Sprinkle with some of the remaining icing sugar. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature until firm, 4 hours.

Looks a little like swiss cheese......
  Remove from pan and peel off paper. Transfer to icing sugar–dusted cutting board. Using greased knife and cleaning and greasing knife between cuts, cut into 40 squares, trimming edges.
I cut mine into 36 squares

Gently press sides and bottom of each square into remaining icing sugar to coat; dust off excess. Let stand on waxed paper–lined baking sheet until dry, 1 hour. With dry pastry brush, brush off excess sugar.

In heatproof bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, stir two-thirds of the chocolate just until melted. Remove from heat; stir in remaining chocolate until melted. Using fork or dipping fork, coat each marshmallow in chocolate, tapping fork to let excess chocolate drip back into bowl.
*****I don't know if it was me being too generous with the chocolate (if thats even possible), or if the recipe just didn't call for enough. Whatever the reason, I had to go back and buy more because I was only about half way through dipping when I ran out.

Place on parchment or waxed paper–lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes.
Recipe found in:
Canadian Living Magazine: December 2011
Check it out online: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/chocolate_covered_homemade_marshmallows.php

 Have fun!  And don’t forget to lick the bowlJ 
~Becca




No comments:

Post a Comment