Sunday 20 May 2012

Finished on a Friday! : Rag Quilt!

I did it!  I forced myself to finish a project that was not done!    Like I was saying in my last post about the lady that makes herself finish already started projects on a Friday.  This is officially my first "Finish up Friday" project!  (Next time I need to post on the Friday... or least on the Saturday.)

Once I was done the project I may have started on other new projects, but that's besides the point because I actually finished something!

It's a rag quilt, and as I said in my earlier blog post, I started it over a year ago.

I went with my sister-in-law and her mom (who is an excellent quilter!) to this local quilting store to buy all the material that I needed.  When the two of us started looking for material to make our rag quilts we both had the same idea........ go for the fun material!  The owner of the store and my sister-in-law's mom thought it was quite funny to watch a 24 and 25 year old getting so excited over kid's material :)

That is why my rag quilt has a mixture of weiner dogs, flowers, spirals and dots! So much fun :)

This is a great way to ease yourself into quilting!

Each square is 10"x10".  The batting in the middle is 8.5"x8.5".

If you choose 6 different colours of fabric and cut 16 squares of each, it will end up like mine.

You layer a piece of flannel, a piece of batting and then another piece of flannel together.  Pin to hold and then sew an 'X' shape from corner to corner on each of the 'quilt sandwiches'.  With a decorative stitch (I used a zigzag stitch--- that's as fancy as Sewphie got) sew a 6"x6" square around the centre.

A neat idea from  sister-in-law's mom is to cut out a piece of plastic and draw an 'x' in the centre.  That way, you can line up the stitching with the drawn on 'x' and trace around the plastic square with chalk!  Neat!

Once you have 48 sandwiches, you are ready to sew them all together.  One side of the quilt should be nice and neat and the other side should have all of the edges showing.  I used a 3/4in seam.  Sew around the whole edge of the blanket when all pieces are sewn together with a 3/4 allowance.
pre-washing/drying


CAREFULLY clip all edges.  Wash and dry.  It will fray up nicely!
Close up after it has been washed and dried
All done! Only took me well over a year....

Then it is time to test out your blanket of course.

I wonder what I'll finish up next Friday :)




Happy sewing:)

~Becca

1 comment:

  1. This project was a lot of work but it came out absolutely beautiful and will be a precious heirloom for years to come. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete