Saturday 4 February 2012

Lace Dress

It's been rather warm this week and feeling somewhat like spring, which got me thinking about the material that I had bought awhile ago to make a dress.  I saw a dress in H&M last year that was made of lace, and I loved how it looked.  Now that my dress is made, I think I might need to wear it with some tights, because I don't think I can wait 'til the warm weather!

I started out with a basic dress pattern to make this dress.  I used burda young pattern #7390, and went with view A.  I did some adjusting to the pattern though because I didn't want it to be quite so wide at the bottom.  I've been looking for a basic dress pattern for a while, and when I saw this (and it was on sale for 50% off!) I decided to pick it up.  The great thing about having this pattern now is that I can adjust it to make all kinds of different dresses and tank tops.

The tan coloured tissue paper is the original pattern.  The white paper is the new pattern I made.  All I did was slightly take in the sides.  I did this to both the front pattern piece and the back pattern piece.  Pictured here is the front pattern piece.
I used a cream jersey knit material for the lining and a cream lace material over top.  There were many different "fashion" lace options at the fabric store (specifically for clothing), but I thought they were all really ugly, so I went to the curtain section, and bought my lace there.   So yes...... when I wear this dress..... I probably match somebody's curtains :)

This is quite a loose fitting dress.  I wanted it to be loose so I could belt it in different ways.  I also cut a strip of the jersey material so I could use it as a belt that blends in and just changes the shape of the dress.
I have belted it high on my waist here with the strip of material.
I have belted it across my hips here for more of a drop-waist look.
Of course it also looks really cute with other belts too!
Here is a close up so you can see more of the lace detail.  (Sorry about my shadow!)

I hope you're inspired to make an article of clothing:)

A dress like this would be a great place to start because it is so simple (only two pattern pieces!), you get a quick result, and since it is a looser style, there is much more wiggle room when getting the garment to fit just right!

Oh!  I almost forgot to mention..... this is the first piece of clothing my body form has worn since her surgery, and it fit her (and me!) perfectly.

Happy sewing!
~Becca

2 comments:

  1. Love the dress! You are a total and complete creative genius and I love everything you make...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) That is so kind of you to say! ...... and I can't wait to wear this in the warmer weather!!

      Delete