Thursday 26 July 2012

Watermelon Coasters

I bought the felt colours for this project a little while ago and they have just been sitting there in my cluttered crafting corner.  FINALLY I organized the corner and it's once again an inspiring space to craft in :)

ALSO since its only 5 months until Christmas, I thought that this would be a great idea to share (hello gift idea!).  Who doesn't love coasters?? (Okay, so maybe everyone doesn't LOVE them.. but I do).

The coasters can be put together to use as a pot holder :)


The inspiration:



The final product:
The front.

The back.


A watermelon slice coaster!! :)

How I went about making them:

I made a template for my watermelon coasters by first drawing a circle and then folding it in half, and then in half again.  I made a slightly smaller version of this, and I also used the edge to made the sliver piece for the front.  I made sure to make the pieces the right size so that there would be a tiny piece of white felt showing through between the pink and the green.

The felt selection.

I cut 1 inch strips of dark green felt and 1/2 inch strips of light green felt.  I  put them together and then used fusible webbing (the kind for applique) to iron them together.

I cut out my shapes.

Here are all of the pieces: 4 large stripe wedges, 4 large white wedges, 4 small pink wedges and 4 striped  slivers.

Ironed the slivers to the white piece.
********put a piece of paper between the iron and the felt, and  keep the iron moving or you will have  a  melted piece of felt on the bottom of your iron.... I speak from experience.

Sew the pink felt to the white piece, and then iron the big striped wedge to the pink/striped/white wedge.  *** again, use the paper***

I sewed around the sliver and then I made a small stitch at the corner of the wedge just to make sure the back and front  stay together (this stitch will be covered by a seed).

I used black and white polka dotted cotton to make the seeds.  I just ironed on some fusible webbing and cut out my seed shapes.  I then ironed them on (with paper in between!!!)

TA DA :)


I think these coasters are great for the summer, and look good enough to eat!  They were fun to make and they give me other coaster ideas in this shape.... like pizza, oranges and lemons!

Can't wait to test them out on a cool summer drink!


Happy Sewing!!
~Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment