Monday 16 July 2012

From Frumpy to Fab! (How I made a cute summer dress)

So I finally have gotten around to refashioning one of the many dresses in my "frumpy dress" pile.  It is SO exciting to go to the thrift store and find a frumpy old dress or skirt that you can see has so much potential.  You have to look past the shape, and past the shoulder pads to see the potential...... but it's there.

I even got a discount on this dress because there was a big rip in the side seam!  (ALWAYS ask for a discount if something is ripped...... even at a thrift store... sometimes you can get lucky!)

After trying this dress on, I realized that I wanted to leave the original elastic waist band.  I just wear it a little higher in my revamped version.

I would love to say I'm going to lay out step by step how I made this, and give you measurements, but unfortunately, that's not going to happen.  Since I didn't use a pattern, I cut and sewed and tried on as I went.  I used the extra fabric from the bottom that I cut off to shorten the dress, for the straps, and I used one of the sleeves to make the top ruffle.  I even used the two cute little buttons from the sleeves!

I'm REALLY happy with how this turned out, and I can't wait to dive back into the pile of dresses!


Here it is!!

I cut out the sleeves

Figuring out how to add the ruffle
All done!
Close up of the ruffle

As cute as a button
VERY pleased at how it turned out!



Happy refashioning!!
~Becca



2 comments: